Why should you join GEIG? Membership in GEIG offers many benefits that far outweigh the $7/year in dues, which is much lower than the dues for most AEJMC divisions and interest groups.
- Opportunities to present research in a conference setting. While all AEJMC graduate students are eligible to submit research papers for our Midwinter and Annual Convention competitions, those students whose papers are selected for presentation will be asked to become members of GEIG. Our paper competition is unique because only graduate students are eligible to submit research, ensuring that your paper will be evaluated among papers from your peers and not from tenured faculty.
- Networking with other grads and faculty. Participation in GEIG, as a member or an officer, allows you to meet and network with graduate students and faculty members from other universities.
- Social events. GEIG often sponsors social events at the AEJMC Annual and Midwinter Conferences. At these events, you have an opportunity to get to know other grad students, share war stories, and make new friends.
- Supporting graduate students in J&MC. Your membership in GEIG is a (much-appreciated) gesture of your support for graduate students in the field. It is for this reason that GEIG counts many faculty members among its ranks, many of whom were former officers or members of GEIG.
How can you join GEIG? You must be a member of AEJMC (graduate student dues are $45/year) to join GEIG.
- If you are already a member of AEJMC, you can join GEIG by contacting the AEJMC national office.
- If you are not already a member of AEJMC, you can find the appropriate membership forms here. Make sure to indicate that you would like to join the Graduate Education Interest Group when filling out your form!